Monday, May 9, 2011

My Proposal Story

Written a few days after my husband proposed back in June 2009...

"To tell the whole story I have to rewind a little here....

Two weeks ago I was running a bit late to work (as usual) and about jumped out of my skin when I heard a man say "hello" in my driveway. Who the heck is in my driveway at 8am!? It was the mail man and he needed me to sign for a package. He said he wanted to make sure he came by early so he wouldn't miss us. The day before we had gotten one of those "sorry we missed you, come to the post office to get your package" tags for our tax documents so I figured that's what i was signing for. I remember thinking it was sweet of him to go out of his way figuring that we'd be off to work soon (how would he know Lee is unemployed and home every day). But it wasn't the tax docs and as i walked in the house i turned it over and stopped dead in my tracks... i had just signed for my engagement ring!!! I had no idea what to do. Should i run after the mail man, give it back, make him bring it back later and pretend it never happened... nah, I'm a lousy liar, i could never pull that off. Do i put it in my car and make no mention of it, yeah no, Mike would flip if he got the e-mail that it was delivered and he didn't have it. So I left it on the kitchen counter and went to work. I figured I'd get some kind of text or call but nothing came. Around 1 pm i texted him "did you see the kitchen counter?" "yup, did you?" "yup" "well that sucks". That was it, i knew, he knew i knew, and there was nothing we could do about it, you can't unlearn something like that.

Now we've been talking and planning a wedding for months now so I've had to fight the urge that every night when i get home to think "is it tonight?". But now, knowing that the ring was in the house, it was very, very, very hard not to look for it around every corner. But i know my man, and i know he's a planner so i figured it would come on Memorial Day weekend. When it didn't i figured it would be our anniversary so i convinced myself of that and reminded myself of that when i felt as "is this it" coming on. This past Friday I stayed a bit late at work and he texted me that he was hungry and to meet him at the diner half way from work and home. My first thought "here it comes, this is where we had our first kiss" but then i told myself to stop being stupid. He's a planner, he wouldn't do it on a whim at a diner on a random Friday night. Besides, he was waiting for our anniversary. So i get there and get a table. When he comes in he walks up to the table w/ his hands behind his back. I think, well it's not a ring, you put that in your pocket, not hide it behind your back. He kneels down next to the table and hands me a box with a GPS! I was surprised and asked him what this was for. He said ever since i got lost (two weeks prior i wasted 2 hours and half a tank of gas because i missed my exit on the turnpike) he wanted to get me one and it came in today. I thanked him but told him to stop kneeling on the floor and to come sit next to me (I thought it looked too much like he was gonna propose and it was distracting me). I was looking at the GPS when i noticed he was sitting funny so i asked him what was in his hand. He said "nothing" and pulled his hand out from under the table to show me he wasn't holding anything. He told me to turn on the GPS, that he'd spent the whole day loading stuff on it and he wanted to show me how it worked. I hit the on button and the first thing i saw was the words "Will You Marry Me????" I turned to look at him and he pulled his other hand out from under the table and there was my ring. Now I've known this was coming, I've even rehearsed my response. But he got me, he actually surprised me and i just took the ring, put it on my finger and kissed him. Somewhere in there I said of course but he figured me putting it on meant i accepted.

When he went to the bathroom later in the evening i snuck a pic so i could text it to everyone in my phone (if you didn't get a text don't be insulted, it's a new phone and i only have a small portion of my numbers programmed in it).

As for knowing my man, i was right, he had it in his bag all memorial day weekend but the moment never struck him. First I ruined his plan when i declared i had no interest on going on a bike ride and then he decided not to bring it out on the lake for fear of dropping it in the water. I then figured it would be at the Rascal Flatts concert we're going to in two weeks and he said that was the original plan but there is no guarantee that your request nor your message will make it up to the screen. He had thought of our anniversary but our plans kept changing with his drill schedule. So he said when the GPS came in he got the idea and just realized he didn't want to wait anymore. I think he's just proud that he surprised the unsurprisable.

And for those who have asked about the ring. Below is the professional/website pic of it.


He searched for a long time to find the perfect ring. He had his heart set on tension setting and even though many people tried to change his mind he had it set on what he wanted. He found www.titaniumera.com and fell in love w/ this setting. He showed it to me around Christmastime and I loved it as much as he did. What I didn't know is that soon after, his mother offered him the diamond that his father had given her when they got engaged. The trick was getting the jeweler on the phone to figure out how to get them the diamond so they could put it in the setting he wanted. (Tension settings have to be hard metals, if it's a soft metal like gold it will bend and the diamond will pop out. Can't have that w/ a family heirloom stone. So he had to be 100% that this setting would work and keep the diamond safe.) And this is why i knew what was in the package, I'd been to the website so i recognized the return address.

So ends the "is this it, will it be tonight" and so starts the nights of "wedding this, wedding that". I just told him that no matter what happens between now and our wedding night, as long as i go to bed that night married to the man I love, it will have been the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment