Saturday, July 11, 2009

How to embarass a man

It was my best friend's birthday. Life got away from me and I had forgotten to send a gift or even a card. I get to work that morning and decide I'm going to search online for something to send to him. But what can be delivered the same day? Flowers? No, you don't send a man flowers. Electronics? Not the same day... besides I can't afford anything good. Cookies? Ok, let's try cookies... This is a grown man who's getting the gift at work, I'm not sending a basket of race car cookies. Balloons? Perfect! They can deliver the same day, are in my price range, and just embarrassing enough to tell him how much I love and miss him without overdoing it while he's at work. So I hit purchase, confirm his info and off I go. Around 2 I get a text message and then an IM "did you send me flowers" "no" "really?" "yeah why" "cause I got flowers". Now I said no because I didn't send him flowers, I sent him balloons from 1-800flowers and they were probably just calling to confirm the delivery address.... Nope, they screwed up, they sent him flowers... hot pink ones...




Boy was I in trouble! But at least he laughed. Not as hard as I or Shaw (close friend of ours) laughed but he definitely found the humor in this.

And my mission of embarrassing him? Accomplished!

Then, later that day, his entire office comes in with a cake to sing for him so he not only has a bouquet of hot pink roses on his desk but now everyone's seen them and he has to explain....

I e-mail 1-800flowers and tell them "I ordered balloons and he got hot pink roses". They e-mail me back, apologize for the mix up and say "we contacted the vendor and they read the name wrong". Um... did they see Danielle instead of David? What does the name matter, this is not the difference of blue flowers vs pink flowers... this was supposed to be balloons! "But we can have the balloons delivered tomorrow, please let us know if this is satisfactory". Not really, his birthday is today.... No wait, if the goal is embarrassing him... what's worse than a man receiving hot pink flowers for his birthday... Receiving a big bunch of balloons when it's not his birthday! So i tell them to go ahead.

And one day after his official birthday, he IM's me to tell me he's on his way down to the reception desk to pick up a large display of balloons that's just come in for him...

No comments:

Post a Comment